- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 jalapenos, stemmed, seeded & finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed then sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Warm pitas or gluten free toast, for serving
Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add jalapenos and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown (about 6 minutes). Add garlic, cumin, and paprika, and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is soft (about 2 more minutes).
Put tomatoes and their liquid into a medium bowl and crush with your hands. Add crushed tomatoes and their liquid to skillet along with garbanzo beans and 1/2 cup water.
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly (about 15 minutes). Season sauce with Himalayan pink salt & fresh ground pepper to taste.
Crack eggs over sauce so that eggs are evenly distributed across sauce’s surface. Cover skillet and cook until yolks are just set (about 5 minutes). Using a spoon, baste the whites of the eggs with tomato mixture, being careful not to disturb the yolk. Sprinkle shakshuka with feta and parsley and serve with pitas or gluten free toast, for dipping.