Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coconut Curry
With the autumn winds stirring the leaves from the trees, it is the perfect time to slow cook a hearty and satisfying curry with the sweetness of pumpkin and sweet potatoes warming our bellies.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 6 hours
Total time: 6 hours 5 mins
- 1 15-ounce can of unsweetened coconut milk (full fat, not light)
- 2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon tumeric powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups 1-inch cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes (substitute with sautéed tofu cubes for vegetarian option)
- Juice of 1 lime
- In the insert of a 4-quart or larger slow cooker, add the coconut milk, pumpkin puree, chicken stock, curry powder, tumeric powder, garam masala, salt, and pepper. Whisk together to make sure it is all combined and spices are evenly distributed.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, chicken breasts, and lime juice to the mixture. Stir to coat and incorporate.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve over rice
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to seven days.
* Sautee cubed tofu while chopping other ingredients to save time.